Brocciu Cannelloni Recipe from Corsica
Blog > Brocciu Cannelloni Recipe from Corsica
Corsica’s best known cheese, brocciu, is used in many traditional recipes, and this delicious hot dish makes a great winter warmer.
I’ve seen a number of variations of this recipe, some leaving out the béchamel sauce entirely, but this is my favourite version of this well-loved dish.
Brocciu Cannelloni Recipe
Ingredients for 4 servings
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Fresh or dried sheets of lasagne pasta (if using dried cook as per instructions)
1 bunch of mint
1 bunch of chard (or spinach)
500g brocciu (or ricotta cheese)
50 g butter
50 g flour
1 chopped onion
400 g crushed tomatoes
Italian style mixed dried herbs (oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, sage)
- Preheat the oven at 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Remove the leaves from the chard and blanch them, then leave them to refresh in cold water.
- Boil the chard stalks for around 20 mins, drain and leave them to one side.
- Add a little olive oil to a frying pan and brown the chopped onion, mix in the crushed tomatoes.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, add the mixed herbs and put to one side for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Little by little, add the flour and milk while mixing well with a whisk.
- Chop up the chard leaves, chop the stalks into cubes and add them both to a mixing bowl.
- Add the brocciu, mixing it in with a fork.
- Chop and add the mint.
- Mix in the egg and leave to one side.
Preparing and cooking the cannelloni
- Flour a work surface and place the pasta sheets onto it.
- Place a little stuffing on each sheet and roll.
- Place each roll into an oiled oven dish.
- Pour over the béchamel sauce and top with grated cheese.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour over the tomato sauce.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes.
Find a little taste of paradise in Calvi Read more
Recipes from Corsica, a cookbook review Read more