Louise from our PR department describes her top 10 things to do in and around Bastia, based on her recent visit.
After visiting the city of Bastia in Corsica's north east for the first time in September this year, I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of things to see and do in and around the main city. It's a great place for a short break to Corsica, or as a stop off during a longer duration holiday. During my visit, I was lucky enough to pack in lots of activities, but below I've shared my personal top 10...
1. Stroll through the Old Port with its marina, bars and restaurants overlooked by the impressive twin-towered Church of St. Jean-Baptiste.
2. Check out Place St Nicholas – the square lined with cafes and restaurants is a great place to people watch and soak up the sun over a coffee.
3. Wander through the old streets and sample local produce from the farmers' stalls on Place du Marche.
4. Visit the Maison L N Mattei – a cool and historic wine shop/distillery adorned with fabulous displays of local specialities, grand chandeliers and an inviting bar where friendly English-speaking staff will provide complimentary wine tasting...
5. Taste the Cap Mattei white and red aperitif for which it's famous, made with herbs grown on the island.
6. Taste the Myrttei Blanche – a liqueur made with wild and fragrant myrtle berries – a creation of Louise Napoleon Mattei.
7. Walk up to Palais des Gouverneurs, Bastia's 15th-century citadel, which overlooks the port and houses the Bastia museum, showcasing the city’s history.
8. Nearby is the Cathedral of Ste. Marie, filled with paintings and marble statues.
9. Explore the maquis-covered Cap Corse peninsula – with its dramatic scenery, tiny ports and coves. With narrow, winding roads, the drive can be challenging but worth the reward. Allow a few hours to do a complete circuit of the headland.
10. Drive 20 minutes up the road to the tiny and unspoilt fishing village of Erbalunga on the eastern coast of Cap Corse. With its traditional houses, alleyways, crumbling Genoese tower and direct seafront location – its rugged beauty will not disappoint. Dine at Restaurant L’Esquinade to the sounds of lapping waves where its culinary specialities are heavenly.
To find out more about a holiday to Bastia, you can view our accommodation in the north east here, or alternatively take a look at our online guide.
5 day trips to take from St Florent Read more